What it’s about: It follows the story of John Marston, a once criminal turned good guy who wants to make up for his bloody past to ensure a happy and safe life for his family. Of course, nothing is ever as simple as it seems in a Rockstar game.
What I like:
- It’s different. It took all the aspects we loved about GTA like the open world, side quests and obscure humour, and then sent everything back in time to 1911. Instead of cars you ride horses or carts, and instead of exploring the tall sky scrapers of the cities you wander around ranches and shanties.
- The atmosphere is amazing. Every aspect of the game has been tailored to fit right into society in 1911. People’s accents have that well known western twang, their clothes are dusty, the gambling is popular, crime is rife and even the tumbleweeds meander along like they haven’t a care in the world. 1911 was a simpler time, and if you play this game for long enough, you’ll feel like you’re right in the heart of it.
- So many different ways to play the game. I personally have been trying to play the game as an honourable man. My John doesn’t steal or sleep with whores, nor does he kill unless he absolutely has to, man or animal. However my brother played the game differently, being honourable only when people could see his actions. Otherwise he was a gun slinging no good criminal just like the bounties I spend my time chasing down.
What I don’t like:
- Glitches. This game glitched on me a lot, and sometimes it stopped me from completing a mission. They did go away upon restart, and the same glitch has never happened twice, but that doesn’t make it any less annoying.
- Animal violence. I understand full well that in 1911 people killed animals not just for food, but for their skins, organs, claws and anything else they could barter. But there’s just something unsettling about the look on John’s face when skins an animal. Makes him seem like one of those kids who tore wings off butterflies, instead of an honourable man trying to do right.
This game is a lot of fun, and has the ability to keep you entertained for hours. Apart from the main storyline there are also countless side quests, jobs and mini-games to complete that guarantee many hours will be lost to this title. It’s easy to overlook the games minor flaws when its positive points are so bountiful.